The following provides a detailed Description of Motorcycle Barrel Bags from Biker’s Friend
The Inner Core:
There are five size bags-Extra Large, Large, Medium-Large, Medium and Small. The bag is built around a solid, plastic core. This core conforms to rigid safety and industrial specifications. You can lean up against this bag and it will not collapse or cave in. It is designed for back support and storage. Most importantly, should you ever have to apply hard braking to your bike, it allows you greater control because you have something to press against. The bag has a smooth inner core for a finished look, yet it is not so slick as to allow objects to slide excessively. back to top
The Outer Shell:
While the outer material that surrounds the inner core looks like leather, it is actually a high grade synthetic leather. This material comes closest to matching the look of most saddles and saddle bags. The nylon shell actually wears better than leather, is easier to clean, resists fading, and is waterproof. It also can withstand temperatures down to -20 below zero. Both ends of the bag have large exterior pockets that are fastened by Velcro and a reflective side release buckle. Unlike other products, the Bikers Friend Saddle Bag has two large interior pockets (one on each end of the bag) that use high quality zippers for added wear and security. The bag has openings at both ends. A padded handle is sewn into the bag for easy carrying and heavy duty side release buckles (on top of the bag) keep the end flaps closed.
The Backrest / Lumbar roll:
While the back portion of the Saddle Bag rests up against your sissy bar, the opposite side has two large Velcro straps. These straps allow the backrest/lumbar roll to be attached to the bag. As such, the rider does not actually lean up against a hard surface. The backrest/lumbar roll contains high quality, dense surgical foam and it comes with two different types of backrest pads. These pads snap onto the lumbar roll. One is all mesh for warm/dry conditions. The other is all material for cool/wet weather. Best of all it is adjustable. Simply position it to match the feel you want. Velcro on the back of the pad attaches to the Velcro on the bag. After extended riding periods, adjust the backrest/lumbar roll for a different feel. This part of the bag can be removed and used as a pillow, headrest, and even a seat to protect you from hard, cold or damp ground. The back of the bag also has Velcro so the extra backrest pad you are not using can be placed securely behind the bag and in between the sissy bar. This also will push the bag forward two inches. When riding with a passenger, the saddle bag can be placed on a luggage rack behind the sissy bar.
Mounting: (use the provided bungee, plastic ties, nylon straps or your own straps) sissy bar NOT required see the video and instructions.
The outer nylon shell contains four D-Rings. The provided bungee cord, plastic ties, and nylon straps are simply designed to hold the bag in place. Mounting possibilities include:
- Loop the bungee cord around the turn signals and attach to the d-rings on the bottom of the bag.
- Loop the plastic ties through the d-rings and around the sissy bar posts, luggage rack, or seat strap.
- Loop the nylon straps through the d-rings and around your shock mounts, turn signals, fender struts, foot pegs, frame, etc.
- Use a combination of bungee, plastic ties, and/or nylon straps as to provide a “safety cable” in the unlikely event your primary attachment method would fail.
The weight of the rider leaning against the bag actually ensures a solid and secure fit. A Warning: Bungee Cord failure may cause injury! Inspect cords and all attachments prior to each use. Make sure all parts are secure and in good condition. Use only as directed.
Don’t have a passenger seat or luggage rack? Check out the Biker’s Friend Fender Guard. This protective pad affixes to your fender with six suction cups that won’t scratch your paint. The basic version is great for resting the saddle bag on while the deluxe version also can be used as a passenger seat.
Why this is the best Saddle Bag of its kind:
If you think you have found a competitor’s product that is superior to the Biker’s Friend Saddle Bag, make sure to check the following list of details. In doing so, you will see the comparative value of our product.
- Check the inner core of the bag. Is it hard enough to lean back against? During hard braking will the bag collapse? Is the inner core rigid and smooth, or corrugated and flexible? Don’t settle for semi-rigid bags.
- The core of our bags can actually be drilled and screwed into like wood/metal even though it is technically a plastic material.
- Can the bag hold up when used as a chair? When the bag is stood on the end or side, can it support hundreds of pounds without buckling or caving in?
- Biker’s Friend bags do not require a rain cover. They are a hassle.
- Check the bungee cord. Has the clamp been covered or is it exposed and unprotected? Can it scratch your chrome? Is the bungee cord marine grade with a one piece solid metal style hook? Is a safety cord provided?
- Check the inner pockets. Does the bag have two internal pockets? Do they close with a heavy duty zipper?
- Check the backrest/lumbar roll. Is the foam used thin with little support, or is it a thick surgical grade foam? Is the color of the foam white-looks unappealing, or gray in color-blends better with the bag?
- Do you get two different types of backrest pads like the kind we include at no extra charge?
- Check the nylon shell. Is the nylon covering thick and durable? Is it UV and water resistant? Is the bag waterproof? Avoid nylon bags. They fade, are not waterproof, and are hard to clean.
- Check the hardware. We use heavy duty buckles on the top of the bag. They look great and are very secure. Be careful of turnbuckles. They are less dependable.
- Do the D-rings use plastic or non-chrome components? Are they double stitched and secured to the bag?
- Are the side pockets secured with a reflective side release buckle? Be careful of just Velcro. It can blow open. We use both Velcro and a one inch reflective buckle for added safety.
- Is the bag made in the U.S.A.?
- The Biker’s Friend Saddle Bag is the best bag of its kind.
Be sure to review the optional locks and cables. These include two, ¾ inch Master Locks with matching keys and two 15” steel cables covered in plastic. They loop through the D-Ring and around any point on the bike. Also, our releasable plastic ties are 50 pound test strength and offer another way to fasten the bags. We also provide two adjustable nylon straps. We hope you found this detailed Description of Motorcycle Barrel Bags from Biker’s Friend of value.
You won’t really appreciate the Biker’s Friend Saddle Bag until you use it!